Oaktree Ministry Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Discussion > Discuss/Debate
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2 John 1:10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 John 1:10
    Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 4:05pm
Here is an interesting scripture I read after I heard it referenced in a video that a Facebook friend posted:

2 John 1:10 KJV "If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:"

2 John 1:10 NIV "If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not take them into your house or welcome them"

You can read the entire book of 2 John, here (for full context):

I find this interesting, as I don't recall having heard this scripture before, atleast to the point where I thought about it. In a strict literal sense, this could mean that you should not invite any non-believer into your home, nor should you wish them well. I looked up the word "house" in the Strong's concordance, and it provided this definition:

(G3614)
οἰκία
oikia
oy-kee'-ah

From G3624; properly residence (abstractly), but usually (concretely) an abode (literally or figuratively); by implication a family (especially domestics): - home, house (-hold).

Total KJV occurrences: 95

We can see that "house" in this usage refers to where a person's home is, be it house, apartment, or anything else.

So, is it not okay to bring a non-believer into one's home? What about if we wish to share our testimony or the Word with them?

It is clear in this Book of the Bible that John is warning believers of false teachers and false doctrines and that aid should not be given to those who do so (such as providing lodging, food, etc.), as stated in verse 10. However, how literal should this verse be taken?

I am interested to hear other people's thoughts on this.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic